The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
kiriuskris

Transmission Shift Linkage

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and glad I found it. I have a 67 Chevy C-10 with a 283 and three on the tree. I have two questions:

The shift linkage bracket that attaches to the side of the transmission broke in half for R/1st. What is the name of the bracket itself? I've tried looking on the internet and searching for it. I've even tried junkyards but they want to sell the whole side cover to me for $100! I just need this little bracket. I'm getting tired of pushing the truck out of the shed and starting off in 2nd gear. I am afraid I'm gonna burn the clutch out.

Also every so often the linkage on the steering column under the hood would freeze up in a gear. You can't shift. The only way to get it out is to either pull very hard on the shifter itself, or go under the hood and jiggle the mechanism so i let's loose. I'm afraid that I'm going to break something by pulling on the shifter or pinch my finger off by jiggling the linkage. What is causing this problem and how do I fix it? Do I just spray some lub in there like chain lube? I think someone pulling on it might have caused the bracket to break!

I appreciate any help. My dad and I are gonna start tearing this truck down here in the next year or so, but would like to get some use out of it.
kiriuskris is offline   Reply With Quote