The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
restoringmy72

1972 chevy truck question

Hey Guys! This is my first time on this site here. I'm thinking about buying a 72 chevy truck I found here where I live. I know where 2 or 3 of these trucks are. But the reason I like this truck is it is just like the one my dad had when I was a kid. Except this truck I found is a short wheel base. It has the Cheyenne package on it. Only thing that sticks is the truck does not have a motor or trans in it. But I'm only going to have $600 dollars in the truck and these trucks are starting to get more popular by the year so, I figured it is still worth buying. What I need to know is, is there a site that I can look at to breack down the vin number/trim tag. I want to find out what gear ratio it should have. It has the factory 12 bolt rear end in it. And it has disc brakes in the front. Did all these trucks come with disc brakes in the front. I hope I don't sound dump but this is the first chevy truck that I have owned. And I'm trying to find out everything I can about it. I thought it would be easy to find a site on this model of truck, but I'm having some trouble finding a good one to help me out. I'm building a 57 chevy know and I have found alot of stuff on the net about it. Maybe some of you guys can point my in the right direction. The truck is orange and white and it has a orange dash in it. The guy that had the truck before me said he thought it has a 350 or a 400 small block in it. My question is how do you find out what the truck should have in it. All the sites I have been on all they say is there is a code for a 6 cyl or a V8 motor. I have not found anything that says weither it is a 350 or a 400 small block. So if any of you guys can help me out I would appreciate any help. Thanks Scott
restoringmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote