The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Cheap mod to brighten up you shifter

PICS ADDED

Got a dull, boring, black granny gear shifter in your truck? Or if you have just a rusty, ugly old shifter?? Well, either way, here is a $5 or 6 buck solution to your problem. Just follow my instructions, trust me.

Take your shift lever off/out, and sand it down first with 40 grit sand paper so there is no paint left, and then 120 grit just to smoothen it up. Then, wipe down the stick with Acetone (or something without oil in it) to clean any dust off the stick (if your doing this over a period of time, not all in one day, coat the stick in grease to prevent rusting. seems to help cleaning, too) Then buy some Plasti-kote Bumper Chrome, or Duplicolor Chrome spray paint. I know your already thinking this is redneck/hickish. Well too bad. Then, hang the stick from something so it's dangling and easier to paint, and paint the stick with the chrome paint in light coats, and give it a few good coats of paint. I did this yesterday/today, restarting a few times because of runs.

Granted, this sounds cheezy/cheap, and is cheap, but you will be very surprised how good it will come out. I can't paint worth a damn, and it still came out good, without many rund. The paint is in the middle between chrome and silver, and IMO looks pretty good. TRY THE PAINT ON SOMETHING YOU DON'T VALUE MUCH BEFORE YOU USE IT VEHICLE STUFF. Because you may not like this finish/color.
The stick it drying now, but I will post pic's of it when it's all dried. Screw on a Hurst T-Handle, and tell people you have a Hurst shifter for a SM465 and watch their eyes bug out.

Pic's will be on later.
Jake

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 04-11-2006 at 04:39 PM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote