The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
RunTMCfan

Had my Tranny and Tcase rebuilt

Been gone for a while and thought I would post some updates on my Blazer project. 72' CST

This thing leaked from anywhere it had fluids. Especially the valve covers, tranny and t-case. This created a 1/2"-1" layer of asphalt and oil/tranny fluid on the undercarriage. The original owner was a hack. So I set out to clean this thing up before I did anything else (paint and trim so far). Reliability is key to me. You know that saying "chrome won't get you home."

You would be amazed at how much oil can flow from bad valve cover gaskets. The previouse owner over tightened the hand screws and bent the covers, thus created a bad seal.

I spent hours pressure washing and cleaning so I could remove the both the tranny and t-case. I forgot how much work it is to remove those suckers. It had been ten years since I did the same to my now sold 70'. I had the tranny redone do to seeing large deposits of what I determined to be clutch material debree in the pan when I swapped out the filter in hopes of fixing the problems (cheapest fix first right). Oh yeah, and a leaky front pump seal. The t-case really doesn't like to be 100% full of ATF and that caused it to leak from every seal. So I figured to get it resealed. When they opened up the t-case they found wear typical of an unserviced 30 year old 205.

So I had that done too.

Here are some photos of the tcase after the bottom of if was pressure washed. Keep in mind the gunk you see on top was not the worst of it. The gunk on the bottom was crazy.

Name:  tcaselowres1.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  77.7 KB
Name:  tcaselowres2.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  87.5 KB
Name:  tcaselowres3.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  95.7 KB

WOW! For a rookie I got the photos up!

Both the Tcase and Tranny are rebuilt and back in. Now I need to put on some new shocks and stabilizer. This thing is pretty loose over 55mph.

Thanks for looking,

Rob
"RunTMCfan"
RunTMCfan is offline   Reply With Quote