The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
purple gas

astro van door seals work GREAT!

After hearing about using door seals from S-10 blazers I went to look for some yesturday. I couldn't find any that were in good shape but while poping my head in the sliding door of an Asto mini van I noticed the weather stipping on the door jam. It was in great shape and really long. So I yanked it out ( no tools required, but I did kind of bend the krimp part of it ) They charged me about $5 for it so hey no big deal if it's no good. When I got it home and started re-bending back into shape the pinch-grip part I felt 2 "thick" parts on the gasket side. "Rats" I said to myself,, "this might be too thick for the door to close ". So I cut the seal at one of the thick parts ( side cutters work perfect) and found a piece of foam inside about 1/2" diamater by about 8" long. Good part was it pulled right out. Now , how the hell do I get the other piece out without cutting the seal? Well, there were tiny little holes in the gasket by the other "thick part" . It was amazingly easy to spread the little holes enough to get a hold on the inner piece of foam and it pulled right out. So I installed the seal on my truck and closed the door ( I'd heard with the other seals doors were hard to close due to the thicker seals ) The door closed great, the seals looked great and I was a happy guy. With the "thick part" still inside I doubt if it would have closed without a real hard slam, if at all. So keep your eyes open for minivans if you need new door seals. I think the location of the seals on the body of the minivan helps them avoid wear and tear. They are plenty long ( about 3' extra ), cheap, and they work good. Happy JunkYarding everybody