The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

GMC V6 fellers

I know there's a few of you guys on the board with 305 and 351 V6's in your pick-ups. And IIRC I said I'd do a report about the Holley 500 as soon as we got the truck going, but I can't remember.

Anyway, the Holley 500 works flawless on my V6. I usually don't use fancy words like that, but in this case I will. It will rev up a lot faster, accelerate a lot quicker, and have a lot more power. With the old Stromberg, you could tap the pedal, and the truck would go. Just kinda putt along. But with the Holley, it's a whole other story. If you tap the gas, now the whole truck will rocket right off (for a truck engine, anyway).
The other side of it, is that it's pretty much a bolt on ordeal. The Rochester 2bbl-Holley 2bbl adapter is idiot proof, since it only works one way you bolt it on. (wonder how I know that ) The only things you may have to change is the choke cable, and your fuel fittings/line to the carb. You also have to drill a hole in the throttle bar, so you can slide a cotter pin through to keep the bar attached to the carb. Other than that, it's straight forward. You do need a 4bbl Air cleaner (if you dont already have one), and maybe a 1/2in air cleaner spacer, to clear the float adjustment screw/bolt. Other than that, everything works great. You may have to adjust the idle a bit, but no other adjustments needed. I think the total cost of the upgrade is about 315 bucks, give or take a few bucks. Well worth every penny IMO.
Carb-$250
Air-cleaner-$30
carb adapter-$20
choke cable-$10
Air cleaner spacer-$5
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote