The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
COBALT

HO52 Drum Brake Questions...

Ok, I finally got some time off from work to deal with this leaky axle seal problem that has basically destroyed my rear brake shoes and goofed up my drums. I managed to get all of the parts lined up, and I just came in from tearing *most* everything apart, but it's led me to a number of questions:

1. After dropping the hub/drum assemblies out I was able to pull the old seals (after some cussing and swearing), and the inner bearings came right out. Piece of cake. Unfortunately the outer bearings seem to be held in place with a very large spring clip. I worked one out, then expected the outer bearing to come out afterward but it didn't budge. I gave it some taps with a large socket on the inner race (bad), but since I have no visible purchase on the outer race I don't see any way of getting it out. Does anyone know the secret of getting these out without damaging the rollers or inner race? I'm worried about damaging it.

2. I noticed when I slid the axles out that the little metal gaskets weren't present from when the axle shop did their work a few years ago. All I saw was their black silicone RTV sealing the axle to the hub. I have a new set when I bought my parts a few weeks ago. Should I use them, and if so what should I seal them with?

3. I think I made a costly mistake. To try and get access to the outer bearing I hammered out the lug studs separating the hub from the drum. I wanted to do this anyway because I have to get these sorry-a$$ drums to a shop to get them cleaned up and turned if necessary. I deformed just about every single lug stud, so I need to get more. Any ideas where to get them? I'm thinking les schwab or the local NAPA. I have no idea how much they're going to be.

4. Also, when the hub separated from the drum the flange inside the drum that is held in place by the lug studs has a little round cardboard gasket behind it. I don't know where the heck to get those. Any ideas on that???

Plenty of questions. I worked until 3am, so I'm not thinking straight and I'm pretty tired. Hopefully in the morning this will all look a little brighter, but here's some pics of how things were @ midnight (more to come later). The first two are the obviously damaged driver's side. The passenger side is in a lot better shape:
Attached Images

Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote