The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
Huck

Unhappy How to ruin a perfectly good truck!!!

Started out by having a rusted out stock single exhaust. Priced duals locally and best price was too high so I checked dealers and LMC (would you believe) had the best price. Ordered and they arrived today. Started to install at 4pm. By 5pm the truck was on fire!!!
Who would have thought that you needed to disconnect the battery to install exhaust--done it dozens of times---but this time---had the truck up on my lift, pulled the old Y pipe and everything was going ok. Opened the box from LMC and it looked like a puzzle of bent pipes and crappy instructions. As I switched the exhaust pipes between left and right, the pass side pipe retainer washer shorted out on the starter which made lots of sparks~~as I tried to shove the big retainer away from the starter, it hit up against the brake line which then started to smoke---then flame""""What to do~~~~no rag to blot it out---no fire extingusher near by----so I blow on it ~~~~~then ran like hell to get the ladder to get up high enough to open the hood to disconnect the battery only to fumble around to find a wrench that would fit the silly side mount battery connections. No idea of how much damage I did to --altinator, fuses, brake lines, starter solonid, etc. Still have to finish the exhaust. May disconnect the battery the next time I change oil, tuneup, empty ashtray, open tailgate, etc. Oui Vey~~~what a day!!!!!!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote