The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Sgt.Booya

Rochester Monojet Help

Hi Guys, I just got my truck and I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a "tool" when it comes to mechanical expertise, however, I'm usually brave enough to try

I'm planning on replacing my inline six at some point but for now I want to get it running smooth. Hoping you guys could give me a hand?

The Problem:
It's REAL hard to get going.
If I just feather on the gas I can get it to catch after about 15 starting attempts. If I let it idle for about 5 mins I can gradually apply more gas very slowly and raise the RPMs. Too much gas and it stalls out. After its up to tempature I can drive it.

The Equipment:
1970 Chev Rochester MonoJet for an inline 6. 250cc. Casting number# 7040021

What I think is wrong:
I think it's the choke. I've never seen a carb like this before it doesn't have a choke on it? I think it's detached? (See pic)

The Solution: (and here's where I need your help)
* I can't seem to find a replacement choke (rebuild kits yes, chokes, no). Anybody point me in the right direct here?
* Is there another carb I could buy that would work on the inline 6 with the choke incorporated? Remember the engine is going likely in the next 12 months [It would have to be low $$$ solution] and there looks to be a fairly elaborate mechanism to operate the specific carb on there now. Looks like anything else (newer) would require from creative fabrication.
* Has anybody ever hooked up a manuel choke under the dash for this carb?

I'd appreciate your input and advice of what you feel might be the easiest way to fix this.....Thanks

Ps: New points and wires....I think its definately an air/fuel thing.

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote