The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
IAmAllanShore

Arrow 1967 or 1968 Fleetside C10, I think, heavy rust, Need to have restored... Suggestions

Greetings!
I've recently come into possession of what I believe to be a 1967 C10 Fleetside ("Self Diagnosis", please let me know if the attached picture says otherwise http://www.link-through.com/truck.jpg , a user elsewhere pointed out the side lights as an indication it is a 1968, although the title says 67, I know how reliable titles are ), and am very interested in keeping it and restoring it as much as possible. It is, for lack of a better description, a family heirloom that I have come to associate with some family members that I hold dear.

However, I know nothing about cars/trucks/putting things together. Part of this project I intend to be a family project, but I need the first steps to be done "right" and done well. Basically, I want to restore it to how it looked on the day that it was bought, almost 40 years ago now.

The truck runs, although it was not able to pass inspection in Virginia this year due to its steering column being too loose and non-repairable,
and the floor of the cab being un-sturdy for lack of a better term.
The truck has undergone a large amount of rust damage, as well as typical wear and tear.

I believe that what I am looking for now is someone / some company to take the truck as-is, remove all the rust and body parts that are beyond repair (Namely anything that would make it unsafe to drive/operate - I know the steering column and wiring harness need to be fixed/replaced), replace anything beyond repair with matching stock parts, and then paint the whole thing to keep it from rusting more (And to increase the asthetic appeal so my wife doesn't kick me to the curb), inside and out, with a semi-original paint job (Original to the truck, that is. A semi-metallic green with some trim; nothing fancy).
I know that is a large part of the process, but I need that to be done by someone who knows what they are doing first so as to ensure the safety of kids/family, and then that gives me something I can work on to bring the rest of the way back (I know some electrics, and would like to do such small things as restoring/fixing the radio, replacing the glass, etc.).
So now I need to know 2 things, and you all were recommended as a place to come for advice.

1) Do I have the right idea for getting the ball rolling? In other words, is what I described that I'm looking for actually match what I should be doing?
2) I live in Winston-Salem, NC, and can take the truck anywhere w/n about an hour from me. Are there any good places that you are aware of that I should look into or contact? And coupled with that, what would a fair price be for just the removal of rust and painting aspects, knowing that the replacement of any parts would be the wildcard.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (If you live in the area or know a company or individual who does this work, please PM me as well). I have a couple of these trucks that I will be working on, so this, to a certain extent, is a "learning" truck for me. But at the same time, it is the one I value the most and want things to be done right and done well.

Thanks,
-Allan
IAmAllanShore <a-t> link-through.com
IAmAllanShore is offline   Reply With Quote