The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
crustysarge

Overheating, at my wits end (long)

OK, 72 C/10 with stock 350. Like a dummy I decided to change the antifreeze thought it looked decent. Radiator had some calcium deposits so I decided to flush. Used Prestone crap and then used some diluted muratic acid. Cleaned it fairly well.

New antifreeze after clean flushing several times and getting out old water by blowing on heater hoses too.

Drove for two weeks just around the house/work which is less than a mile. No problems, really not enough to get warm. Went on a 60 mile trip and after a few miles noticed temp gauge was at the start of the solid line on the right. Ran heater to help cool until I got to my buddy's shop. Never got hot to where it boiled over and needle never went into the solid line area. Yanked thermostat and dropped another one in and it did the same thing on the way home.

I flushed again and again. Clean. With cap off the the thermostat opens and level drops. I top off and rev RPMs but see no movement in radiator.

Screw it, order new pump and decide to change radiator too. I want no headaches later on.

New pump and radiator on today. While pump was off I flushed system again and it poured from both pump ports on the block as I filled from the heater hose. Clean.

Slowly filled system. Thermostat has a bleeder and I left heater hose at heater valve off and high up until water came out. Connected hose and topped off again. Started and let idle, no cap on, thermostat opened and level spit out and then dropped. I topped off and again, saw no movement in system. I put on a new CST 16 PSI cap and she stayed right in the middle of the gauge wile idling. Oh yeah, also installed new fan clutch and she is pulling air very well.

Drive and she goes right up but just shy of the first line on the right side of temp gauge. Come home and let her idle and temp drops slightly but not much. Slowly release cap, no pressure. Level is normal.

I unscrew threaded plug on top of water pump while running and cap off, just to the point where it is ready to come out and coolant is really starting to spurt out around the threads. Tighten and do the same to the plug on top of the thermostat housing, same thing. Rev engine and see no movement.

Drive again and come back and hoses are pressurized and gauge is same spot, just shy of first line or right on it. It was always in the middle before I started screwing around with it.

New lower hose and it has spring.

OK, could it be air trapped? How can I get it out? Restriction? Where?

Faulty sensor? When I disconnect gauge drops to left.

I plan on taking thermostat out when she cools down and see what happens.

Should I see coolant flowing through radiator at idle or by revving her up?
crustysarge is offline   Reply With Quote