The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Decypher

'57 Project Thread

Here it is, the not so long awaited thread for my project. The story behind this pickup is this: My dad bought it from a guy in Southern California (not sure where exactly) when it was still a Cameo. The only reason he bought it was for the bed because he's doing a bone stock '57 cameo, he's getting close to having all of the paint and body work done, so I'll post a couple pics when it's there. He didn't know what to do with the rest of the truck, so he thought it would be a good project for me, thus handing me the keys. Revel in your jealousy now...

Okay now that we've got that out of the way, I took some bed parts that we had sitting around, cleaned them, painted them, and slapped them on. Also had to put a new left front fender on because my dad didn't have a good one. I am more than willing to give him the parts he needs off of my truck, cause lets face it, it's not every day you get the keys to a '57 chev handed to you, and I am very appreciative of that. I've also put a 19 gal aluminum CPP tank under the bed and put on a crappy pair of headers on that we had laying around.

I pulled it out of my tiny one car garage this weekend and ran it up and down the block to see how it was running. Going down hill is fine, but up hill is a struggle. It feels like it's starving for air or gas. I'm going to replace the fuel pump and see if that helps. Also, it idles fine, but get it above 1500 rpm and it starts popping and backfiring like one of the cylinders is missing. My neighbor seems to think it's one of my plug wires that was almost completely melted to the header was arcing to the header so we pulled the plug off, wrapped the wire around the spark plug and I started it up again. I was watching that plug as I reved it up it was still popping, but there was no spark between the wire and the header. So, still don't know what's making it do that, but I need to fix it. Any suggestions?

Pictures will follow when I get time.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post1742172
Decypher is offline   Reply With Quote