The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
Rokcrln

Re: New Project! 67 Extended cab...

Weeere Baaack! Well I have the extended cab project back in the shop for some finishing touches on the metal work now that blasting is complete. We will be starting with some frame fixes (already done) and then moving on to seat mounts for 2004(+-) extended cab seat's (front and rear flip also finished already). Then the fun begins with the rear extended rockers and cab corner. When this truck was extended back in 67 they used door skins and regular rocker outer for the job. The only problem is when they did this work they just over lapped everything for a speedy job. This has lead to a few problems, first is the panel fitment. If you look at the rear of the door jamb you will see that the quarter panel extends out a bit past the rest of the rocker and door. Also the rear rocker is about 3/8" to low also because they just over lapped everything. All this over lapping has led to alot of rust over the years that we are about to correct. Keep in mind that when these trucks were built by the coach company they were built for work and not to look preaty or last a very long time so with that being said they did an ok job. Also from what I can see of how it all went together it was only about a 3-5 day turn around on each truck.

What I have done to this point is remove both layers of rocker and added inner panel. I also had to cut the quarter panel loose from the door jamb in order to line things back up. I then took a new rocker outer and trimmed it for a perfect flush butt fit. I had to de-bend the rocker just a bit since they always have a slight curve to them to match the door bottom and this quarter is straite. Once it was all lined up and ready for welding I pulled it back apart and cleaned all surfaces to be welded. I also treated the inner structure with Rust Doctor (the same product that the owner treated the entire exterior to after blasting) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes while I was getting other areas ready for work.

Here are a few pics of the tear down prosses prior to welding in the new parts.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote