The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Must Read!! Save $$ Prevent Rust!

By
Lewis Fabrication Design Inc.

Thought I would share this with the rest of the board. I was working on a customers vehical today replacing rockers and cab corners when I noticed some dirt falling out of the bottom (where it meets the inner rocker panel) of the rear cab support chanel. Their is a small 3/16-3/8 gap between the end of the support and the back side of the inner rocker for dirt to get into and out of. So I grabbed one of my body hammers (it was the closest thing) and started tapping on the bottom of the support chanel and I could not belive how much dirt and sand came out. This is by far the worst enimy we have with these old trucks. The factory left gaps here and their for drainage but it also lets dirt build up. Once dirt starts collecting it is only a matter of time before it gets wet and starts causing rust. Also the dirt acts like sand paper and scratches the metal letting water get deeper and deeper.

So head out into your shop, driveway, garage or barn and start beating on your trucK!! Get all you can out and you do not need to hit hard to do it just alot of light taps should break everything up and cause it to slide out the bottom. Once it is all out you can take an air hose and thru the factory supplied holes in the cab support blow out any last bit. Then I would take a can of an kind of rust stopper (really just slows it but that is better then how it is right now) and using a spray or and under coating gun with tube empty out a can or two in the upper holes allowing it to run down and coat the metal. This will not be a fix all but it sure will help stop or slow down a problem that is not cheap to fix later.

Hope this helps out a few people that did not know about these factory rust traps before. Post some pics of what you get out of yours!

But before you start please put on some good safty glasses or better yet gogles because it is not fun to have sand in your eye's. It is even worse when you do it to your self!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 07-16-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote