The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
Apache'71

350 Ramjet w/ 700R4?

I've been researching a crate motor to purchase to install in my '71 LB 4x4. I am thinking the 350 Ramjet would be nice but really want to upgrade my TH350 to an overdrive unit. My truck currently has the mounts for a SB, TH350 and NP205 TC.

Any advice on the best(not crazy expensive) fuel injected, crate engine and overdrive tranny combo that would mate up to my NP205 with out too much hassle. I realize I'll have to rework the tranny/TC crossmember and shorten/lengthen the drive lines, huh? Anyone know what adapters, etc. I might need to make this work...i.e. advanced adapters...

Another thing, I want to go kinda different with this and was thinking how I could eliminate the stock column mounted auto trans shifter in favor of a console shifter preferebly out of a late model GM that would integrate into a custom center console. I am not aware of any late model trucks, burbs, tahoes, etc. that have anything other than column shifters. Is there any cars that would have had a console shifter that would work with a 700R4, or am I dreaming? I really don't want an aftermarket style shifter such as a B&M. How about the TC, would it be a sin to swap out the NP205 for a late model TC that has an electric dash style switch? I really want the interior to feel like a modern truck but obviously don't want to sacrifice usability since the truck will be a 3/4 ton weekend driver and will see moderate towing and hauling.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote