The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

So, am I totally crazy, or do I just like work?

I just had a buddy roll his 01 6.0L powered 2500HD truck, and he is considering offering me the engine, and any / all wiring I want from it for a very reasonable price. I'm thinking I may take him up on it, and install it into my GMC.

As it stands, the engine in my GMC would make good power if I put some 64cc heads, a good intake / carb, and some good exhaust. However, it isn't suited for the TPI setup I have sitting on top of it. I am plauged with a rich idle due to the camshaft it has got. The GMC also needs a fair bit of other work as well, including body work, decking the interior out, and later a new transmission, transfercase, and front diff.

The truck has been off the road so long, that I am not too terribly concerned about not driving it anytime soon. Probally good for me as far as gas prices are concerned anyways!

So, what I am thinking is that I buy the 6.0L, and all the wiring from the truck, and start swapping it into my 80. I can then take the engine from the GMC, take the TPI stuff off, swap the carb stuff from the 77 onto it, and sell it. I could use the money from selling that engine to rebuild the 73 Nova block I've got sitting in the shop, and build it for EFI use with a set of swirlport heads. This will provide me with plenty of power, and an engine that the TPI would perform perfectly on. I can then swap it into the 77, which would be a quick and easy task, as it is already equipped with TBI.

I can then sell the engine from the 77, along with the TBI stuff, and get the body work finished. I should be at about 1200 bucks invested into the 77 at that point, while it will be worth closer to 4000 with the TPI engine, 700r4, and fresh bodywork. I could then sell the 77, and start driving a 97 Pathfinder my father has told me he plans to give to me to use as a DD during college for better gas milage

All this time I can be working on the 6.0L swap, and hopefully once college is out in 4 years, the GMC will be decked out to exactly what I want it to be. Have the 81+ black interior I've wanted, get the body work totally done, and have the 6.0L / NV4500 / NP241 combo I want for a drivetrain, along with the driver's drop D60 up front, at which point I can sell the pathfinder, and start daily driving the 80 after 8 long years, LOL

What do you guys think? Am I crazy, or is there a chance all this might work out in the end? :P

Again, it all depends on the cost of the 6.0L, and what a few of the 6.0L swapping experts from CK5 say, but I may just wind up going for it...

Last edited by Russell; 07-21-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote