The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
aggiedave98

Re: how reliable are your trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyguy
Well for instance when I noticed the tranny slipping I had it replaced, replaced the carb when it begain to have a slight starting/flooding issue. Basicly as soon as I can I investigate anything that dosen't seem "normal". I try to routinely check fluids, plugs, voltage, ect. Now I'm getting ready to change the U-joints because they're starting to clunk. My truck has its original 305 with 170,000 so it dosen't get driven "hard" because there's really little to be gained by doing so. I just let her take her time getting up to speed when I hop on the interstate. I'm sure I've wasted money on parts that still had some life left, but that's preventive maintenance for ya!

Ok, this is a GREAT example!! Cheyguy, what does the clunk sound like?? I have a clunk when I come to a stop of after a stop and when I'm going to accelerate. It seems more likely to happen when I come to a hard stop or if my rear brakes are out of adjustment and my front brakes are stopping me more. I thought it was the engine mounts (since they were going out) but replacing them didn't help. I have been wanting to do the ujoints but with all the other stuff I've had to do to it lately, I haven't gotten a chance. Is that most likely the ujoints??
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote