The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Left tank "WT?!"s

Got some What The .....?!'s for my left tank.

We just dropped the tank to replace both lines to it. Well now, fuel flow is random at best and the fuel needle is all but horizontal to the full side. Now when we dropped it, there was something bouncing around in it or otherwise making noise (it was flat empty), sounded like maybe a rock, but i'm assuming it's the sending unit float. Well put it back in, put 19.2 gallons in the tank, and I have the mentioned problems.

I'm completely baffled on the gauge, I already double checked that it's connected and that it's not shorting to ground. I followed it (the blue wire) all the way from the connector to the firewall.

On the fuel flow, While checking the sending unit wire, I noticed a kink in the supply hose from it being a little too long. Is it safe to just back off on the bracket and move the extra length to the crossmember so that it isn't kinked?

Also, when filling it (keep in mind the tank was flat empty for about 2 months) I noticed a puddle of gas under the tank. It appears to be the vent line for the filler neck..it's cracked all to heck. Only thing is, I thought it's for venting vapors, and the actual gas doesn't flow through it. The filler neck hose itself appears in good shape, it was the drier of the two.

Last edited by magnethead; 08-09-2006 at 02:27 PM.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote