The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Torque

lug conversion

Hey Fellaz,

This question concerns my 84' Sierra 2WD. In a further pursuit of getting my truck in a status I am happy with, I have come to swapping in a new diff. My truck was equipt from the factory with a 10-bolt non-posi 3.08. I am also just in the process of doing a 1-ton axle swap in my 80 4x4 silverado and will have a 12-bolt posi 3.73 from it that will no longer be used. The 12-bolt is the perfect candidate for the swap because it's posi, and has all the proper dimensions and spring perches to just bolt it all up. My only issue with doing the swap is the fact that my Sierra is a 5-lug truck and the donor 12 bolt diff is 6-lug. So I figured maybe, just maybe I could pull 6-lug front end parts off another 2WD truck from the wreckers and finish off the swap that way. My main guestion is: What is the list of parts I am going to need to do this swap? Just rotors and hubs? or will I need complete spindles from the donor truck?

I have also had plans of slamming this truck too, so I have also thought about an axle flip. How much drop will that give me? The front drop will be matched accordingly.

Thanks for any input.

What a wonderful stable of vehicles to have when gas is +$1.00CAD/L.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote