The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
pheengurs

seatbelts in a 64 chev stepside T10

anybody have any info on seatbelts?

mine has a power bench seat, with 3 sets of seatbelts.. ALL 3 seatbelts are the non-retractable type, and are bolted ONLY to the cab sheet metal, not to the frame.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that these seatbelts are not stock, nor are they mounted in a safe manner...

I read through my owners manual and 64 shop manual supplement, and there is no mention of seatbelts being installed, or as an option from factory or dealership...

Anybody have any thoughts?

This is one of the things I have to resolve before getting the vehicle inspected... once it passes inspection I can plate and insure it... however they way things work out here, you cannot get a specific list of requirements for your vehicle, it is entirely dependent on the inspector, and what mood they are in that day... the most I could get out of them is "anything safety related must be operational" an obviously broad reaching, and entirely vague statement, that tells me nothing specific in regards to my truck... Now if the inspection was say twenty bucks? No big deal, it fails a few times, and I know exactly what to fix, but the inspection costs around $150... so I want this to be a one shot deal, in and out, with a big rubber stamp stating my vehicle is up to par and is safe to drive as far as the insurance company is concerned...

so if this vehicle had seatbelts from the factory, where would they have been mounted? OR if they didn't come with seatbelts, and you were going to install seatbelts to save your life in a crash, where would YOU mount them? how would you do the mounting? what kinds of tools would you need to mount them properly? what kind of seatbelt did you install (retractable? shoulder & lap? lap only? new or from another vehicle?)

Is this one of the things I'd be able to figure out if I had bought a full 1963 chev trucks shop manual?

again, any help is appreciated!

Last edited by pheengurs; 08-13-2006 at 10:43 PM.
pheengurs is offline   Reply With Quote