The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Newbie from Utah

OK folks.

My 17 yo son totaled my Mitsubishi last week. I was teaching him how to drive and he overshot a U-turn and sort of turned it into a Q-turn.

Because it is only worth about 4K the insurance company will total it because it will take 5K to fix.

OK...2.5 years ago I had to sell my 1971 longbed fleetside red and white C10. Broke my heart but I got laid off...so what does one do?

Since I discovered that my Mitsu was going to be totaled...my mind started wandering...where is my next 71 or 72 truck.

I found it. Bought it Saturday.

It is one-owner 1972 4x4 C10 Cheyenne fleetside shortbed p/s, p/b, a/c, and never wrecked. It has a Dayton winch on the front. It is 1/2 ton.

It was a fellow's hunting truck for over 32 years. He passed on two years ago and his dear wife could not part with the truck. The kids have finally convinced her to let it go. I have to figure it was hard because they were married for over 50 years.

Well, with due respect to this fine gentleman and his family...I am now the second owner of a 34 year old truck. It is in pretty decent shape. A bit of rust where you would figure...bottom of doors and back bottom of cab mostly.

Heck I was so tickled that it even ran I am beside myself. The engine was rebuilt 18 years ago. It is in dire need of a tune up and an a/c recharge and some TLC.

It was that light olive green originally...he saw a truck painted dark grey over white so he had the outside painted that color. The interior of the cab is still green.

Funny thing though...the bed area has two propane tanks that he used in the late 70's to run the engine on either gas or propane. I am not sure if it still works...but heck it may be cheaper to run it on propane...anyone here know about that?

I am going to bring it back to glory over the next two years...maybe a bit shorter. I am going to go through all the mechanicals and make sure it is sound and solid.

Wow...are my juices flowing. Something about the 67-72 that really floats my boat.

I am sure I will be asking about parts and quality and suppliers. I would love to actually get rid of the propane set up and build a new bed with all new parts and a white oak planking. There is a little cancer around the wheel wells and two opening cut in with doors on either side of the bed for the propane refilling ports. I would imagine all new parts are available.

Anyway....that is long winded enough now.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited by timcos; 10-02-2006 at 12:42 PM.
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote