The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I'm glad I found this website

This is long, sorry.

I thought there was nothing on the web about these old blazers til someone from WWW.PIRATE4X4.COM told me about it. I tell you my sory of my Blazer for a little introduction and post some pics later.

When I was 19 (2003) I owned a 1977 F100 with bald tires. I needed new tires ASAP but had zero dollars seeing as how I had just paid tuition. A police officer friend of mine told me he had some slightly less bald BFG AT's sitting under his Blazer at his mom's house and I was free to pick them up. He knew I wanted a 4x4 so he mentioned that it was also for sale. I had NO cash obviously and I really didn't like Blazers (big and boxy, I wanted an EB) so didn't really care. When I went to pick up the tires I saw the Blazer and it was unlike any I had ever seen. It was blue with a white top and the body was nothing like I was used to seeing so I took a closer look. On the side it had a piece of paper that read, "1971 K5 Chevy Blazer, SBC, SM465, NP205 $4500.00" I thought it was really cool but gave up on the idea of ever owning it since it was way too expensive. A year later after I turned 20 I had saved up some cash (about 1500 bucks) and decided to look for some old clunker 4x4. Everything I found, I didn't like. I didn't really know what I was looking for (actually and EB or mid 70's F250 would have been nice). I remembered that old blue Blazer my friend had and even though I know he wanted a whole lot more for it I decided to call him anyways. He had it for sale for a long time with knowbody even being slightly interested in it and when I called he was eager to negotiate. Right away he said he would take $3500. I thought about it and asked him if would let me pay it off on time. He said yes and so the next day I was off to pick up the title. Keep in mind that I haven't actually gone to look at it yet, but I didn't care. I got there the next morning to find him fooling around under the hood. He said that the battery had died and that when he tried to jump it he crossed the jumper cables (the positive battery cable was black and the negative was red, thanks to his brother of course who put them on backwards) by mistake since he did not remember about the wrong colored battery cables and melted some wires. He caught the mistake pretty quick and was able to pull the cables off before any serious damage could happen. Anyways the rubber coating on the wires was still melted off so now it was time for more negotiations. $3000 he told me with a complete set off used 32 inch BFG MT's mounted on another set of wheels in it too. SInce the truck was still operable I said okay. I spent the next couple hours getting it started ( adjusting points, timing, carb ) and finally drove it home. It was a scary ride home (about 10 miles) especially since it hadn't been on the road in two years. He gave me a LMC catalog when I picked it up and almost as soon as I got inside after getting home I called and ordered the front engine wiring harness. After that was fixed I still wasn't satisfied with the engine. Everything was awesome (except for this noise coming from the rear end, more on that later though) and I especially loved the transmission. It was a lot of fun to drive. A couple paychecks later I ordered a demon carb, MSD distributor, MSD ignition box (6A), MSD coil and wires and some Auto Meter Phantom guages. With the adjustability of the distributer and new carb (it had an Edelbrock intake and carb already but the carb really sucked) it was a whole new beast. I took it back into some old creek beds and it NEVER let me down. I thought I was soooo cool going through Cibolo Creek in 18 inches of water. Mind you this was my first 4x4 so I was just amazed. My favorite thing would be to take my gf and get it stuck in 2WD and then lock the hubs and yank it out, she always freaked out. Anyways I started using it as my DD and one day on the way home from work the truck started to vibrate a little and then I started to decelerate and all of a sudden it just shut down. I walked to a gas station and had a buddy pick me up and we towed it home the next day. Engine was deemed no good by my machinist friend and so I started planning a new one. I was really pissed because I had just started saving up a good chunk of change (1500 or so) and now I had to spend it. My friend talked me into a 396 that he wanted to get rid of real bad. How much??? $1000 for the long block w/ RV cam, 9:1 forged pistons and used RPM intake. What are friends for. I immediately removed the old one and put this one in only to realize it didn't fit for crap. Not only that but I could not get headers to clear my stock clutch linkage. Luckily a friend of mine happened to want another big block so I sold it to him for 1200 and used the extra money to invest into my new centerforce clutch and flywheel combo. I called summit and ordered a GM performance parts crated motor (about 1500 bucks w/ delivery) and I put that in. I decided to replace everything associated with the motor and bought a new radiator, headers, carb, and other things. It has not run in a year still because I haven't had time to work on it but it should be started by next weekend or maybe a little after.

Okay that's it.

Last edited by BOSS; 08-17-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: only subscribers can post forsale post
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote