The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Looking for ideas

First of all, let me introduce myself:

My name's Matt and I live and work in Sacramento, CA. I picked up a 1985 Silverado shortbed from my uncle with 59,041 miles on it. My uncle bought the truck new back in '85 and it has been well taken care of and garage kept over its lifetime.

Where this truck became a larger part of my life was about 3-4 weeks ago when I lost control of my 1986 Toyota MR2 and spun out on the freeway, making friends with a guard rail while I was at it and destroying the MR2, my project for the last two years and the source of 99% of my financial woes.

I was going to just keep the truck stock, maybe lower it a few inches and take my stereo from the MR2 and put it in the truck.

Great, real simple right?

Wrong... This truck quickly went the way of many things when my dad and I get involved. Things got complicated...

I picked up this month's issue of "Truckin'" magazine while I was bored the otherday in Raley's. Low and behold, there's a *****in' 1985 Shortbed Silverado in the pages touching frame to ground, sittin' pretty on a set of 22" wheels with an amazing orange paint job inside and out. The best part about the truck, was that its mostly stock. With the exception of the suspension, the truck hasn't really been overly modified. Its just so... beautiful...

Anyway, that's when I decided that I was going to turn my newly purchased vehicle into yet another project.

I want to try and make the truck a tribute to its older brother that is sitting in my garage waiting for body work (I have a 1954 GMC that my dad and I have done basically a frame-off resto job to).

I want to do the same things I'm doing with my other truck. Update the interior and stereo, lower it a little, give the engine some love, and also shine things up with more chrome. The only thing I really want to do differently with this truck is that I want to make it more usuable seeing as it's my daily driver, so I figure a spray on bedliner with a rubber mat, and a few other things like that are in order.

I'm looking for ideas from you guys on how to make the truck seem more nostalgic. The only things I can think of for the exterior are to add some chrome headlight surrounds and maybe a billet grill (but there really aren't any out there that scream "I'm the one you want").

I need suggestions for the interior, engine, suspension, and exterior. Nothing will be laughed at, just try and remeber that I'm going for a nostalgic feel and not the highly modified show car like my MR2 was.

Thanks all for the time. Hope to get to know some of you guys, maybe BBQ or something soon.

Also, pics of my project cars to come soon...
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote