The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
abadsvt

Building your own chassis.....

Today my father and i took a 4 hr trip to Sacramento to watch my friend graduate from the CHP. Anyways we started talking about what i would like to do and accomplish with my truck. After a long conversation my father says "Why not just build your own chassis". That got me thinking. Could we do it. I do not have alot of experience with frames and suspension but my father has done some chassis building and tons of work with classic cars. My dad built 2 quater mile dragster chassis himself and is a certified welder with all the necessary tools to make one. On the other hand all of his chassis that he built are little different than one for my truck. My question is does it take a rocket scientist to build a custom frame? I am very tempted to tell him "Lets do it" but want to make sure i know what i am getting myself into. I am not really worried about spending money to build it but just being able to forsee everything that needs to be addresed ahead of time. If that makes sence. Does anyone have any comments or tips that i should know ahead of time. Also if anyone has some pics of some custom made chassis that would be great.

ps. I am aware that i will have to build a frame table. Also it will be for a 1970 c10 swb

Thanks ahead of time
Josh

Last edited by abadsvt; 09-09-2006 at 02:58 AM.
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote