The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Majician

I rescued a Suburban from possible demolition... *PICS*

Disclaimer - I know very little about these old Suburbans other than the fact that they look AWESOME and I had to have one.

My friend and I were out cruising my '72 C10 through the country to go look at a house he want's to buy... then I spot an old Suburban sitting in the weeds at someone's house. A week later we go out and talk to the lady that owned it and she said I could buy it for $200. We went this weekend and picked it up.

It was parked a few years ago and never drove again because it needed a muffler and tires. It is a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive with a 250 inline six with a 1 bbl carb and a 3 speed. It wasn't pumping fuel, but would start with starting fluid, so I put a new fuel pump on. It pumps fuel now, but the gas is real old and nasty and it still won't run without spraying starting fluid in it. I will work on it more as time permits. It has some bad exhaust leaks too. The trailing arms (control arms?) are JUNK.

I have a few questions for you guys:

Are the rear control arms the same from 1/2 to 3/4 ton and from truck to Suburban?

Is there anywhere that sells new arms cheaper than LMC?

Can a guy (me) who knows nothing about carbs rebuild the 1 bbl on my 250?

How does the 250 do for MPG in a Suburban?

And now some pics. I ran out of quaters at the car wash, so there's still a little dirt on the passenger side rear quater.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote