The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2002, 01:28 PM   #1
Ackattack

DS problems

Well on my way to my inlaws this weekend my rear u-joint broke while I was doing about 65. The drive shaft fell out and of course I'm not going anywhere. It was dark out, so it took me awhile to find the DS, and when I did, it was too late, it had already gotten ran over.

I called my brother in law and he brought his trailor and we started loading my truck up on it. Well you would think that wouldn't be too hard, but since my truck is lowered and the exhaust hangs even lower it was pretty tough. The mufflers got stuck on the metal strap on the dovetail, so we had to unbolt the exhaust while it was halfway on the trailor. Finally we get it onto the trailor and back to his house at 1:30 in the morning.

Next day I go to a few salvage yards and no one had a rear DS (or they didn't want to take the effort to point me in the right location to get it) One place did have a pile of old drive shafts they let me go through, but none would work. So I had to have a new one made. $180 for that, plus a new carrier bearing and other things ended up costing me like $220 and a whole day of working on my truck. (usually this wouldn't really wouldn't be a big deal if I were home, but I had taken the day off work to go do some things...not work on my truck)

Anyway, I just had to rant a little. Luckily the shop was able to make the new DS in about 2 hrs and I didn't have to leave my truck somewhere in the middle of nowhere. After the new DS was in, it drove just fine.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote