The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Talking Blank Slate (or mind) you decide.

My truck has one more truckly duty to perform in its current guise as a hot rodded farm truck ...

We just finished moving into our house, hauled all of our belongings and a mess of construction supplies there and have one big dump run to make, after that the truck is going to be disassembled and the long road back to something it never was is going to begin.

Step one will be restoring the frame (don't know yet.. I'll see what good and what isn't when I tear it down!)

Step two will be building the chasis.

I want to set it up with a 4 link rear and c4 front end. I plan to run 16 or 17" rims with performance profile tires, perhaps 225/45/16. I am looking for a car like ride height, perhaps a 3/5 or 4/6 drop.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads and have a somewhat better developed idea of how to proceed but I have some questions and and somewhat lobbying for suggestions.
  1. I have a C-20, will this present special problems?
  2. How do I get my ride height where I want it with the body off?
  3. I want a comfortable but performance oriented suspension, should I go with an air system or springs?
  4. If I have a C4 front suspension what do I use for matching brakes out back?
  5. I guestimating $3 to $4.5 thousand for getting the chassis set up, am I stoned or am I in the ball park?

I'll probably be sometime tearing it down and then getting the frame cleaned up but thought I should get a grasp on the overall project early so I can keep an eye out for deals while I'm wire brushing, grinding and sneezing over the frame.

Any help is greatly appreciated, including wild ideas.. it's still blank canvas time, all I am sure about is that I want it to be a long, heavy musclecar and it's going to be bright orange.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote