The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
bueller60

Newbie 250 to 350 swap questions-HELP!

Hi, great board. I recently bought a very clean 68 c10 stepside with a 250/3speed drivetrain. The 250 died and I got a great deal on a 350/TH350 combo from a 69 Camaro. I'm new to these trucks and I have some questions that I hope you guys can help with. I'm have some mechanical skills and less computer skills.

I've read all of the threads that I could find regarding the swap and the engine position (I6 rearward vs V8 forward). My TH350 measures 28 inches front to rear while my original 3 speed measures 23 inches. I have a one piece driveshaft. Here are my questions:

1. Should I invest in some V8 motor stands and move it forward and if so, is there any possible way to get 5 inches?

2. I've read that I need to cut out my bellhousing crossmember and find a TH350 crossmember to replace it....does it matter what year?

3. I have no shifter and no shift linkage...should I attempt to find factory stuff and if I do, is it a big hassles to mount?

4. What color should my tranny be to be factory correct? It's chevy orange now but it's out so I could easily paint it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
bueller60 is offline   Reply With Quote