The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
BobRitts

Adjusting the steering box?

On other cars I've tightened up the steering with the allen screw/locknut atop the steering box with the following procedure:

1) Car off with axle supported, front tires off the ground but at nominal ride-height angles (so PS is off and wheels have no resistance)

2) loosen locknut and tighten allen screw while turning steering shaft back and forth so you can feel when the slack goes out. Care required here as overtightening can ruin the box. PS is off so the assist doesn't mask the friction point you're trying to get just shy of. Dot of white paint helps see how much turning you've done in case you have to undo it.

3) Lock down the locknut and test drive. Wheel should come back to center with little or no effort, if not, need to loosen screw a bit and retest.

Does this work on our boxes? Did a search but didn't find much info besides one guy who did this and broke his box! Anyone do this successfully on our trucks before I turn my truck into a guinea pig?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by BobRitts; 11-15-2006 at 01:01 PM.
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote