The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
patternmakerbob

New to the board

HI guys and a few girls (where were you when I was single?). I have visited this site many times in the past but didn't become a member because I didn't have a truck. I have had (4) 67-72 chevy trucks in the past and now I do again. Click on avatar to see my one pic. Haven't figured out how to paste a pic in the middle of the message.??

I am most impressed with how no matter the question the members have an answer.

First off NEVER buy anything off ebay without going through ebay. Most of you understand what I am saying. I found my truck on ebay and asked if there was a "buy it now price" I was told there was and I was excited. He called me and told me he couldn't change it the auction to "buy it now" because he had less than 10 feed backs. I found out later that this was bullsh#t. I made the deal anyways.

71 Chevy hugger orange, white top, longbed. 454 3 speed on the floor . Power steering.

The seller told me he would drive it from Gentry AR to Joplin, MO and it could make it the rest of the way home to STL with no problem.

I met him at the flying J in Joplin and had the cash. I noticed he trailered it but was just not thinking after 6 hours of driving with the kids. They were hungry and the wife just wanted the deal over so we could eat.

We started it and took it for a test drive. I put on the emergency brake and the seller had to get under it with a hammer to get the wheel loose. He told me "we don't use that much". OK no big deal, just the E brake sticks right?

He had brought his wife and she was very nice. They seemed like honest people and boasted how she drove the truck frequently, rrrright. The collectors on the headers were leaking and he told me about "open header night" when they close off main st. and the cops let you cruise with open headers and do burnouts. "As long as you don't get too crazy" UHHH OK where DO they draw the line for safety in Arkansas? I soon found out.

I drove it to the hotel Saturday night and knew there was going to be some work ahead of me.

None of the guages worked! even though the seller told me the fuel and temp did work. I got under them to see nothing hooked up. OH boy. I went to Orieley's in Joplin at 9 am. and was going to put a temp guage in so I could monitor it on the way home. I also fixed the shock on the left rear that was hanging and replaced the top radiator hose, neck and thermostat.

I noticed the tires were chunked out on the rear and dry rotted on the front, no spare. I took it to Firestone in Joplin for a set of new tires for the drive home. When they removed the wheels all hell broke loose. The master cylinder was not holding fluid in the rear reservoir, so it was replaced. When they tried to bleed the brakes the rear drive wheel had a brake line that was cut and crimped (guess for burn out night.?? Way to go, thanks for telling me, I could have rear ended my own family on the way home, dumb*ss) Tried to bleed them again and the wheel cylinders leaked. The drums were taken off and on the passenger side the parts literally fell to the floor (uhh burn out night was fun??)
So I had the back brakes replaced. The kid doing the work, Josh was really good. He noticed the rubber fuel lines were dry rotted and leaking. So they were replaced along with the fuel filter. I also had them change the oil since I was going to drive it 300 miles home. They couldn't complete the work on Sunday night so we had to stay in the hotel again. This meant my kids would miss school on Monday. That's when you are a redneck. Your kids miss school because of an old chevy truck purchase.

Total Cost at Firestone $698 , very fair in my opinion for all that work and new tires! Truck was ready to roll on Monday around noon. I would have done the work myself but I was staying at the Hampton and it was raining outside.

I drove it to Springfield (1 hour) and realized the rear end was going to have to be changed. It is way too low, 4/11, 4/10??. The truck would run ok but back fire occasionally.

I stopped in Orieleys in springfield, mo and bought a timing light. To my surprise, not, it was way off. I timed it and it ran much better.

We got on the highway and came up on an 18 wheeler. I had to hit the gas a little hard to pass and it started backfiring really bad. So bad in fact that it blew the hoses off the quadrajunk. I put the hoses back on but it ran horrible.

Quadrajunk 0, backfire 1.

We stopped in St. Roberts and found an autozone. I bought an edelbrock 600 with electric choke and put it on in the parking lot, 48 minutes flat thank you.

We ate at taco bell and got back on the highway around 9 pm. The truck backfired very bad and died on the highway. I made it maybe 10 miles to dolittle, Mo and called for a tow. I was done, nothing else was open. Guess the wires were crossfiring.??

The tow cost me $250 and we got home at 1 am Tuesday.
All toll it cost me over $2000 to get it home, but at least I have some new parts.

Wife is freaking p*ssed. I am in deep financially and it still isn't running.
I have some work to get finished with my business before I mess with it again.

First will be a compression test and if that is good then complete tune up and new ignition.

Going to put in Oriely guages and make a nice cluster out of Cherry. It will be awesome and at a fraction of the cost.

Wow I typed alot.
Bob

Last edited by patternmakerbob; 11-18-2006 at 08:37 AM.
patternmakerbob is offline   Reply With Quote