The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
farmerfred

Cylinder Head questions

I think that my truck may have worn valve guides and a rounded cam lobe (or two). I need to check into things some more, but I thought I'd ask your advice about what I plan to do if these things do need to be replaced.

I am thinking about getting a setting of complete cylinder heads rather than take the heads to a machine shop. I don't think that I have the knowledge and skill to inspect the valves, etc. I also don't know of a good machine shop around here, and then there's the hassle of not being able to use the truck while the heads are in the shop. I do want to learn something and do some of it myself. After reading the Haynes manual, I think replacing the heads and cam are right at my skill level.

The truck is a stock 350 (except for an HEI distributor). I'd like to keep it stock. Autozone has reman. heads for $180 each. Napa has them for $240 each. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Also, am I right in thinking that a "cylinder head assembly" is a straightforward install? Any thoughts would be appreciated!