The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
palallin

The Philosophy of Restoration

I've noticed something over the last couple of years. The mis-use of the word "restoration" is rampant all over the 'net boards and the enthusiast mags:

"Yeah, I just finished restoring this '6x Chevroldsmobuickiac Barrastang. It's got a .030" over 502 Crate Motor, a 700R4, a Fordmouthury 9" Posi, an all-'glass front clip, custom aluminum interior, dropped in the weeds, fat MTs in wheel tubs in back with a 4-link suspension, and a ten-coat deep Pearl paint job with racing stripes and flames."

Now, this car may be the hottest thing on the road and the sweetest ride in the show, but it ain't "restored."

"Restored" means that the vehicle has been returned to new condition, or, perhaps, better-than-new, considering that a restored vehicle is hand-built rather than slapped together on an assembly line. It will have, ideally, all original or NOS parts and be in the configuration it was originally assembled in.

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for restorers who remain true to the faith. The Mustang and 'Vette guys really take it to the max. Ten years ago, the proper set of NOS tires for a Mustang Thoroughbread were going for $10,000 a set. It is amazing how many of the little doo-dads are still around somewhere NOS, but it's also amazing how much people will pay to get them!

I'd love to have a completely restored truck, but I need my current one to work, so I'll have to wait till I'm rich and famous enough to afford a truck I can store away and never use. In the meantime, I'm trying to return it as close as practicable while still making it useable for my purposes (to include things like stroking a '69 350 to 383 and a suspension lift).

What's your preference?

--Do you want a restoration--all original?

--Do you want a "restification"--mostly original but with practical mods?

--Do you want a street machine--pro-street or that sort of thing?

--Do you want a full-on race vehicle?

--Do you want a no-holds-barred off-road truck?

--Do you want a Monster truck?