The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2002, 08:00 PM   #1
72hugger

lessons learned

I recently completed a conversion of my original 6 cyclinder 3 speed manual truck to a v8-350 automatic. I thought I would share some of my lessons. My truck had been coverted to a 305 v8 before I bought it. The engine was in the 6 cyclinder position.
1st lesson, you must get a different radiator or add a transmission cooler to add the automatic.
2nd lesson, you must get an automatic crossmember from a donor truck.
3rd lesson, not all tilt van columns that look like they will work will. The one I bought was too short. Make sure to check before you buy. I eventually bought an automatic column from the same donor truck that provided the crossmember.
4th lesson, the automatic linkage is almost impossible to find in a junk yard. The linkage is available from mothertruckers, but they were out when I need it. I used a universal linkage unit from krug komponets. I purchased it complete from Dixie Truck works in Mt. Pleasant, NC. It is a nice stainless steel unit. It is very clean and needed just a little modification to work for me.
5th lesson, the 350th transmission fit without modification of the drive shaft, if the engine is in the 6 cyclinder position. I chose this option.
6th lesson, if you remove the pedal bar for the clutch, you would never know without checking that the truck was converted.
7thlesson, using the 350 engine in the 6 cyclinder position, I chose to use the long water pump set up used on 73 and later trucks. This allowed me to add power steering. I used the gear box from a 79. It was a straight bolt up affair. It works great. It also puts the fan in the right place with in the shroud. I also needed a different alternator bracket. The problem with this set up is with the hoses. It took some time to find hoses that would work. I used a universal on the bottom, and a hose from a 305 on the top.
Finally, It was well worth the effort. I am much happier with the 350 over the 305, and I really like the automatic.
I hope this information is helpful to others.

72hugger
72hugger is offline   Reply With Quote