The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
TP from Cntl PA

A couple Cummins pictures for those interested

Since I am crawling along on dial up, I had to load them small or I'd be waiting all night

Truck is a '71 C-20........Was a 350/3spd...........I got upset with the lack of low end with the V-8, so I looked at the diesel option. Not a fan of GM's diesels. I really wanted a 6BT Cummins(5.9 to most people), but it was too heavy IMO, for a 4x2 chassis without major changes that I didn't want to undertake. I didn't want a 4BT(3.9) because they are rattlely and noise(I ran alot of them in backhoes), they are a good engine, I just wanted something a bit smoother. So I found a small 6 cylinder @3.4 liters........Designed as a gen-set engine it runs as smooth as silk. I got a GM adapter, ran a 4spd+ a homemade OD unit based off a 3spd Sag.........This is a project in progress, because I patched it together enough to run it so I could focus on completing my K-20 which is now done. Anyhow, we've been running it for two years, not using it much in the winter, but its run everyday in the summer time. When I tear it down for paint/mod's this spring, everything from the clutch back will be replaced with heavier parts. Even with only a realtively small engine under the hood, the monster torque on the low end tears up anything and everything. I am going to use a HD ZF-6spd with an oil cooler, plus heavy joints/shaft and carrier. Other than that, it is an amazing drive, and this engine has a sound like no other engine I've heard in a pickup...........Sounds like an IH DT idling, and barking through a straight pipe, it almost feel like you have a Big Cam Cummins under the hood on a hill. I love it. I had a few request for pictures, so if anyone needs to know anything ask, I'll try to help. I didn't find anyone who did this previous to me doing it, so I learned some things the hard way. But I have since been contacted by others who have did swaps into these with Cummins and other engines, so know about most of the don'ts I am already planning my next swap using a Screamin Jimmy
Attached Images

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote