The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
DennisL

Question Is this a 68 or 71 Chev?

Hi, to all the members. I just bought a 68 or maybe a 71 Chev? I'm not sure which exactly. The title says 68 Chev, but the VIN as decoded was 71. The metal VIN # has been replaced and all the paperwork agrees, as far as 68 model and the 1971 VIN # which is odd. I think it was probably wrecked years ago, and a 71 GMC front end was put on and the VIN was changed then to reflect that or hide the fact it was salvage titled. The VIN tag is rivited on, but it doesn't say from what state. I can tell it came into Calif. in 2004 from the title. In any case it has the 68 "Custom Cab" plate on the outside of the door. The truck has drum brakes on the front. It has a 64-66 or so steering wheel which is on a factory tilt colum, (I was raised driving a 64 so I know what the steering wheel looks like), It has the big emergency brake handle like the 64 did, only its chrome plated, it's under the steering wheel and is a big lever. It has a V8 with 3 speed auto and a factory tachometer which still works. It appears to have the 68 door upholsstery on it which is embossed and cover approx. the middle section of the door. I think its a 68 because of the drum brakes and emergency brake.
DennisL is offline   Reply With Quote