The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
russellmarling

My project and my story

I have been on this board for awhile, but I don't post very often. I took some pics of my truck today, and I thought I would share the story that goes along with the truck.
My grandfather bought this truck from the original owner in 1979. He used it as a work truck until 1991 when he retired it to the garage and pulled the original 6cyl/3-on-the-tree in preparation for the eventual restoration. I vaguely remember going for a few rides with grandpa in this truck when I was about 5 years old, and that was all it took to get me hooked. Throughout my childhood, I played in this truck that sat dormant in the garage- pretending I was driving it. Grandpa noticed my fascination with this truck and promised that I would inherit it someday. Fast forward to late 2003. Grandpa had been sidetracked by many other projects over the years and the truck had been left untouched. He and I had restored an 83 Camaro together as my first car and we worked on his 70 Monte Carlo SS454. Having taken good care of the Camaro, grandpa decided I was ready for the truck. We began a frame off resto- I did the frame and suspension, and grandpa built the 454 and Muncie M20 4 speed. We put them together and painted the inside of the cab and the firewall. In November 2004 grandpa passed away. I was devastated. I eventually moved the truck into my friend's garage and resumed work on it. Now it is almost driveable. The one and only thing I need to drive it is a big block clutch linkage. I have been unable to locate one, so my friend and I are trying to fabricate one, but it is slow-going. To this day I have never driven the truck. Sorry to be so long winded, but I needed to tell the story to somebody. Enjoy the pics. This is my favorite website. Thanks.

'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote