The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
bigd65

I have figured it out

All the times i have posted about the truck running rich and then a vibration problem, well i believe i got it fixed. here is what i did.

1. i removed the EGR valve and put the block off plate on. i really did this not expecting much if anything at all. well i believe i did.

2 here is how i set my timing. first i set it (as everyone was saying)with 14* initial. well i did tghis with the advance still hooked to manifold vacuum. i drove it for a tank of gas and the gas milage went to about 15mpg fromabout 12-13 with a BUTT LOAD of spark knock (valve clatter). then i figured i dont have spark knock at wide open throttle so i went to TDC with the vacuum advance disconnected. with it connected i believe it is about 16-17* initial. man this thing runs great and i believe the milage went up some more, will have to update on it. BTW still no spark knock at wide open throttle. BTW i figured i would see what kind of tire spin i had and the thing spun tires all the way through second ( no crap) and i had the TV cable adjusted to loose , it switched to second way to soon, but kept spinning. i have not had that type of oprotunity again yet but i will try the tire spin again. it still feels like the bed is twisting when it changes to second gear though but thats why i spent the 1300.00 bucks on the tranny for.

OH yea and the drivability on the freeway, i have to continue to look down at the speedo to make sure i aint getting to carried away with the speed.

just thought yall would like to know