The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Tire Tech: Sidewall Sading - get that "Old School" look

It's all the rage!!
Ok ok. I decided to take a stab at sanding my sidewall to get me some home grown wide whites.

I didn't know till a few years ago that this method was common place at used car dealers in the 60's-70's and later. Dealers would pay guys to come out and sand out the side walls on some of their cars to enhance to look to get a sale. There is a white ring of rubber on all whitewall/line and raised white letter tires. Most of your wives know this already from rubbing the SUV/Minivan tire up on the curb.

The victim: A used 255 70 15 tires. Good tread left btw

I took my 7" grinder and bought a sand disc conversion kit. I had a sanding wheel on it but it was to rough. Then I started to sand. Took a little time to get used to. I should have practiced 1st but figured I would get it done on my "good" tire. I started from the inside out and just went back and forth. I can't really explain a technique. I just went with what was working for me. You can't stay in one place for to long our you'll go right through the white and back to black then belts. The edge creates it's self from the factory. The white ring under the rubber stops on both sides cleanly, almost.

I wore a mask so I would not be coughing up rubber loogies the next day. Didn't really seem like I needed it but just in case.

For the most part it came out ok. As you can see in this pic there is a mis alignment of the white and the edge got all wavy. I figure this may be a case by case thing and will just correct with Krylon Fusion paint made for rubber and plastics. Plus you can see the scratched from when I 1st started sanding. I got better and it got smoother as I went around.

So here it is. It's looks mounted but it is not. I will sand the other tire and paint the other rim and get them mounted thi weekend I think.

This is temporary and may not be liked by everyone but I don't care. I am Artist and we are weird anyway. Eventualy I would like to get some chrome reverse all the way around or with slots in the back.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote