The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2002, 09:11 PM   #1
amstaff

What's going on here??? trans swap woes

I have talked to a couple of people in my area (Central Pennsylvania) about installing a 700r4 in my 72 C10. First guy, who works at a highly recommended trans shop, said that he wouldn't dare install that in the truck... said it was "too hard to hook up and get right." I then asked what if we mated it up to a brand new crate engine??? Still said,"No way, Jose." Mentioned that a th350 is no problem though.
Next guy owns a shop were they service high end imports and build/work on muscle cars and drag cars (they have their own Pro Streeter sitting in their reception area!). Anyway, he tells me that it would not be worth it as it could be up to 50 hours labor to install an auto (700r4 and/or th350) and take out the 4-speed Muncie. Labor alone would be over $3,000, not to mention parts, etc. He thought I should just put different gears in the rearend to help out with MPG.
What is going on here?!?!?!
I read post of our members w/ these transmissions being installed all of the time. Is Central PA just a little behind in the times???
Is there anyone who will do this, and how much should it cost
I would like to do this in the Spring, if anyone can stear me in the right direction I would appreciate it! Would be willing to travel to get this done right the first time.

Greg

- Sorry for the long post
amstaff is offline   Reply With Quote