The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
smh292

68 SWB Body - Is this a good deal?

I went to look at a truck this weekend and I am on the fence about buying it. The truck is completely disassembled. Here is what it is:

- 71 Shorbed Frame which has been blasted and painted, starting to show some surface rust in a couple spots from sitting. 5 Lug discs upfront coils in the back
- Cabs looks to be in good shape and has been primed. Doors are on and solid also in primer. the only thing that might need some repair would be the floor pans. Cab is from a 68 with a good title. The fenders, hood, cowl, tailgate bed floor shortbed side panels are all there and GM original and would only require minimal rust repair
- He says when he bought the truck the guy told him the 350 motor was recently rebuilt, I didn't get to see the motor since it was at his house not his shop. The truck truck also comes with either a 350 or a 400 trans (my choice)
- He says he has everything to put the truck back together including glass, interior, wiring harness, steering column, rad & support, 68 grille,

He is asking 2500 delivered (I live 60 miles from his shop). I am thinking that this a a good project since it already has a good start. I want to learn how to do all this stuff and I think it is a perfect project. I figure if I bought a driveable truck, I would end up disassembling it to begin with and I would probably be looking at a lot more rust repair and a lot more time to pull everything apart.

My concerns are that I haven't seen the motor or trans yet and he has a lot of the parts packed away in his shed. He said if I am serious about the truck that he will pull everything out and lay it all out so I can see exactly what I am buy. I know the 68's are popular and also the shortbeds and V-8 motors would make this truck more popular.

Does this sound like a good deal? What are some parts that I would want to make sure are included in the deal? Is there any way to tell if the motor and trans are good since they are out of the truck? Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.