The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Foosified

Engine bogg

I've done a search on other threads and while informative I don't think the answer to my problem was mentioned.

Here goes; I have had this 71 c10 for 4 months. I have replaced the engine with a rebuilt 350 (1981 I think). The previous owner had HEI ignition installed. I have not replaced the cap and rotor yet, but plan to. plugs and wires are new. Have not checked the condition of the plugs yet. There is less than 1000 km on the engine.

when installing the new starter there were three wires. One for the power, one (purple i think) about 16 gauge for ignition and a 20 or so gauge yellow wire, which I believe was for the original ignition system with points. Do I need the yellow wire??

Back to the bogging down. Runs fine when cold, but once running at operating temp. the symptom occurs. I press on the accelerator for a modest acceleration... normal acceleration?? Not flooring it... and it will sometimes bog so bad it stalls. Other times it will bog and then accelerate like nothing happened. Recently I was accelerating and it was switching between bogging then running fine continuously for about 4 blocks??

Things that have been left constant between the original engine and the new engine are the transmission and HEI ignition.

The new are the plugs, wires, 1406 edelbrock carb, starter, fuel line with in line fuel filter (which is clear).

I had similar symptoms with the other engine prior to engine swap, which led me to believe there was something wrong with the transmission, but I don't think that is my issue, as it makes no weird noises and shifts fine.

One last thing. When I first got the truck I parked it over night and tried to start it the next morning... it would not fire. I ended up cleaning the cap and rotor and the thing fired. This was after a couple of days trying to figure out what the problem was??

So I think my cap and rotor definitely need to be replaced. I am curious about the distributor getting the proper voltage.

Do you have any suggestions and am I on the right track??

It is properly timed also.

Thanks