The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
57T210
Chevy Guy

71 C10 is now out of storage: and the bad news is

Hey Folks.

Yesterday, retarded the timing to about 6 degrees advance from 16 or thereabouts. While the 350 has a mild cam in it, just ran too 'tight' for my taste. Also backed off on the idle set screw to bring the idle down to about 900 or thereabouts. Ran well in the shop when it was already warm.

Getting ready for Md inspection so the 1/2" holes the P.O. had drilled through the exhaust pipes (before the mufflers) had to be repaired. Sounded cool but Md Inspection would never have passed me. So closed those Babies up this morning.

Backfired through the carb (a Holley, probably 600 or 650) a couple of times when I tried to start it this morning but it finally started running smooth - in the shop. Took it out on the road and it ran like crap.

Probably need to advance the timing some more but I couldn't help but 'feel' that the increased back pressure through the exhaust had something to do with it. Mufflers are new but tiny little guys (maybe 18 or 20 inches) up over the axle.

You Folks have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
57T210 is offline   Reply With Quote