The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

Hello From a Caaaleeeefornia GMC

Well after poking around this site for a few months, I have decided to join the party. I am amazed at the beautiful trucks here and feel a bit un-deserving to be in the same room with some of you guys. After I introduce myself and tell you my little story, I will go back to my corner.

My truck was purchased new for $2,700 by my DAD in December 1968. It’s a ½ ton long-bed with the 307ci V-8 and the three-on-the-tree. This truck came with absolutely no options. It did have a heater, but no AC, radio, or cigarette lighter. Nothing automatic. Even the choke is manual.

My older brother and sisters learned to drive in it and used it regularly. In 1984, my dad purchased a new GMC S-15 4WD. I got the old truck w/ around 120K miles. This GMC was my regular daily driver through all my college days, and for quite a while after I graduated, got a new job, and got married. This truck is my best friend and a true member of the family.

When I was sixteen I had a job at the local gas station/repair shop and remained employed there all through my college years. The job allowed me to keep the GMC maintained during those high mileage years, although in the beginning I was pretty naive.

At around 140,000 miles, it developed an oil leak from the timing chain that was swinging out into the cover and had sliced a hole through it. With a little piece of electrical tape and a couple quarts of oil, I limped the truck through another summer. We replaced the timing chain only to discover that the nylon-covered gear had disintegrated and been sucked into the oil pump. Lack of oil and improper timing damaged the No. 8 cylinder, which lost some compression. We replaced the oil pump and I chugged the motor for another 25,000 before I pulled it out and had it rebuilt in 1986. I rebuilt the transmission and front end at around 200,000 miles and just like any young boy would do; I continued to drive hell out it. That stock little motor will still kick out an occasional third-gear scratch for me.

About three years ago, my buddy convinced me to strip it, do some body work, and repaint it. The primer was showing through what was left of the original weather-beaten pigment. “Heck, we’ll have it done in a couple weekends!” he said. We worked together many days and many nights (Thanks, Joe) and after about 14+ weekends; the truck was sprayed in his neighbor’s body shop. Holy Cow! All of the sudden the GMC looked great! But still, the truck continues to spend its life outside, bravely weathering the elements. Currently, I am giving some attention to the neglected interior where I discovered some rust at the typical locations. It pains me to see that I have been a bit naive in body maintenance too, but I sit here, typing proudly, to gain some recognition for my GMC, inspired by this truck and motivated by the passion and enthusiasm others have shared towards it, and by you awesome people on this forum. I have searched this site many times since I discoved it a few months ago and want to say thanks for all of your prior posts. And I'll have some more questions for y'all, too.

Now at 296,000 miles, the engine bay is the area that truly shows the age and dedicated service provided by this good-ol’ GMC. It is extremely familiar to me and reminds me of the older, simpler automobile era. Just like when I sit behind the wheel, everything looks like home. Right now, I don’t think it needs much work done there (although I drool when I see you guys with your nice engines) but I don’t want to modify the stock motor and spoil the unique character and the true heart and soul of my old GMC. Maybe I will add that chapter….. someday.

If you got room for an old stocker like me, keep a chair for me in the corner and I’ll yell out something stupid every now and then.
Attached Images

SacramentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote