The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Talking Very short 1st test drive of my 70 K5!!!

Got alot done this weekend and went on my very first drive of my 70 K5! I had my kids and wife jump in for the maiden voyage - my wife wasn't too impressed - she said it was a rust bucket Heck, I told her this K5 is prestine compared to some K5's I've seen!

Anyway, got the new front hard brake lines finished and the system bleed this weekend, got the front axle u-bolts torqued down and got new ends installed for the drag link. Installed the front shocks. Got the rear axle u-bolt plates modified and the u-bolts torqued down.

Still need to bleed the power steering and put the belt on so can drive without fighting the steering. Have new engine wiring harnesses on the way and tested a spare internally regulated alternator that I have - it works! Hopefully the new harnesses will also fix a short I have. Also need to install the front driveshaft and rear shocks.

Friday a buddy was assisting me in cutting threads off of a later model NP205 shifter bolt - we screwed up and cut too much off so he was nice enough to machine me up a completely new bolt with the grease groove. May get the shifter installed tonight. Awesome to have a friend with a lathe and talent. I can now put the transmission hump back on, put the carpet down and reinstall the driver's seat. My buddy helped me make some new brackets for the rear of the seat to raise it up a bit - prior owner had used blocks of wood that were broken and used just one bolt per attachment point.

Need to adjust the clutch rod a bit - have to push in real far to get the clutch to work.

The first drive was exciting and completely unplanned, but with the brakes done I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to drive down the drive and up the road a bit and back.

Stupid me forgot to take any pictures of the K5 outside :rndll:
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote