The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
jkade

Re: Calling all LS1 converted trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Like I said, if you want to do piecemeal, you can get a great deal. Me, personally, I don't want to futz with all that extra crap, I want something pre-assembled that requires little to no effort at all.

As a point of note, I bought an LS1 out of a TransAm WS6, aluminum block weighs much less than the LQ9 (LQ9 is beefier, steel, better for boosted setups).

LQ9 stock is rated at something like 345HP/380TQ, pretty sure the WS6 is 380HP/400TQ stock. I've seen at least one shop in TN that pulled just a nudge over 400 RWHP and 400 RWTQ out of a stock WS6 with no power add-ons at all...at the flywheel, those numbers would probably be closer to 430/430 or something.

Like I said, it's all in what you want. I'm not boosting, and I don't want to screw around with anything more than exhaust, a Z6 cam and springs to get into the 425HP/425TQ range and smoke the tires off most anything out there. You can screw around with your LQ9 and boost it later to catch up to me

Bottom line: I paid more for an assembled unit with more power and lighter weight that doesn't need any add-ons. You paid less for something you need to assemble with less power and more weight and can handle lots more add-ons.

Like I said, it's all in what you want. No single setup is perfect for everyone. You need to knowledgably sit down and decide what you want before you get it. I don't think it's wise for anybody who never deals with the GenIII setups to just go to the local junkyard and plop down $2k on something only to realize there was a much better option for their specific needs at nearly the same price.
Old man had lq9 with 243 heads, cam, ls6 intake, tune, t56 and 3:73 gears in his 69 camaro. My brother has a 01 ls1 with the same set up and 4:11 gears in his 69 camaro. The lq9 would smoke my brother's ls1 and the ls1 is bad as hell. Now a days everyone is going to lq9's becasue you can just flat out make more power with them, I have seen it in person. Me my self and I am sure there are others on here cant afford to buy a pull out ls1 and trans for 3 or 4 grand when you can piece one togther for half that. My brother also just put a lq9 and a t56 in his 99 rcsb silverado and it will blow your mind at the way it runs. You may be right and so may I. When I get mine going and you get yours I am sure we will run across each other somewhere and we will see since we only live a hour and a half apart and I go to a lot of shows in GA.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote