The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
e rock

So how would you pull the motor?

I'm not on here much, but a few of you may remember the drama a few months ago when my 71 K20 was stolen and then I got it back after it was stolen from the police impound... Anyway, when it was stolen, the speedo wasn't hooked up so I have no idea how much it was driven for the month it was gone. Also, when I got it back, it was low on oil. I filled it up and didn't notice any problems, but didn't drive it much since I was still in the process of fixing a few things to make it more secure and more commute-worthy. Well, a couple weeks ago, I was feeling more confident in everything so I was headed to work on the highway and heard a noise that sounded like the fan getting into the radiator. I was on a narrow overpass, so I was preparing to pull off as soon as there was a shoulder, but with about 50 feet to go, the noise got a lot worse and there was steam/smoke all over the place. I killed the motor, pulled over and popped the hood still expecting to see a thrashed rad. Nope - rad, fan, and water pump were all fine. Then I noticed that I had oil leaking onto the ground. So I crawled under and found this:

Then I followed the oil trail back a hundred feet and found these:

Apparently the oxygen-waster that stole my truck did more damage than I thought.

Anyway. I've been on a well-needed vacation for the past 1-1/2 weeks, but now I'm home and get to deal with this crap. I have a donor motor lined up from a running and driving car. I've done plenty of motor swaps, so I'm not really concerned with the specifics, but rather looking for wisdom on which way to swap it. Should I pull the tranny and tcase (sm465/np205) with it or leave them in place and stab the tranny in the truck? Is there even room to do that without removing the crossmember? The truck is only stock height, but that's still a pretty good lift for a cherrypicker especially with an extra 500 pounds hanging on the back. Any thoughts?

Last edited by e rock; 03-31-2007 at 05:23 PM.
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote