The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Engine rebuild advice.

It’s been a while, but I got the call from the machine shop and my engine cleaned up nicely ~ .030 over. They are ordering the stroker kit tomorrow AM.
I’m getting real excited!
It took awhile because they had to build some engines for a car show here plus the other customers ahead of me.
Anyway, I saw a nicely built 383 short block that they had done for the car show, (the race prep) and am considering doing the same on mine.
Here’s the skinny:
Opening up the oil galleys. I think I can do this myself using my die grinder with carbide bits. He said I can pick up my block tomorrow to start this.

He also recommended rounding off the area around the plugs under the cam gear- so the double roller won’t rub? I had the timing chain on for awhile and rotated the engine over several times with no issues. Not sure what to think about this, but can probably do this myself too.
He then mentioned drilling & tapping for threaded plugs under the timing chain~ again I think I can do this also. I have the 1/4 pipe tap too.

He offers a painted lifter valley using a special paint to help with the oil transfer to the oil galleys. He says it’s a PITA and said I wouldn’t want to do this myself. But thinking of having this done ~$30.

He also offers a grove & hone option on the lifter bores, which I’m thinking of having him do. This sounds like a good idea. ~$50.

Lastly he has an upgraded coated cam bearing option ~ $15. more.

Is there any thing else I might need/want to do? Is this stuff I mentioned necessary?
Any advice doing some of this myself would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote