The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
benoit454
Chris

flowmasters, super 40's vs. regular 40's

Ok I am looking at getting some of theese, but I'm having a hard time decideing on which to use.

I found a video online of two impala's one with super one with reg. 40's.

The super 40's sounded alot meaner but a bit raspy and popped. I don't like that popping to me is make it sound like the vehicle had problems, like backfire and just sound bad.

The reg. 40's didn't pop but they seemed quieter. I like em loud that for sure, but the drone isn't good either. I heard the reg. ones drone or resonate inside around 2k rpm. That would be bad for me because that's where I'm usually at, unless I'm shifting gears or on the highway, which is rare.

I know on our 84 it has a single 2-1/2 pipe, no cat, manifolds and y-pipe into the 2-1/2 single flowmaster, dual out muffler. I don't know what it is but it has drone while getting up to rpm's where it shifts(350 auto.)

Now what theese would go on is a very mild 350, 2.02 heads 268h comp cam, real good lope to it, full length headers, gutted cats, and exits behind rear tires. Right now I have glasspacks, and they are ok, but since I changed gears, and added a stall and shift kit to the trans. I get more rpm and the glasspacks and starting to bug me. They sorta pop or bang bang bang, rattle or whatever you wanna call it when you get up to about 4k or so. ESP. when you are between buildings or bridges. I don't like the noise they make, I like the loudness, but now the flowmasters sound better to me.

I would also consider the force mufflers, aerochambers by hooker, but I heard thoose and they seem quieter then flowmasters, or the summit race mufflers that are chambered, they are about $30 each and that would be great.

So if anyone has flowmaster 40's super 40's the new 44's delta flow 40's or anything I mentioned on a sound clip or video please post or send me the link so I can compare.

I also considered the delta force race muffler that's half the size of flowmaster 40's but I don't know if it be too much or not. I can post a sound clip of one setup I really like, if someone thinks they can determine what muffler it is.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote