The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
72sbfs

Talking after more than a year & an unreal story

Hello again to everybody. I used to frequent is site alot when I owned my 72 short fleet, then I had an offer on it that I could not refuse so it found a new home. That was in Feb of 06.
So..... a few weeks ago I drive for 2 hrs to have a look at a 72 El Camino, which turned out to have more holes than metal. As I leave this guys house, I go to the end of the road and there is a car lot on the corner with a few interesting things on it, so i turn in. Among all of the interesting things is a 72 2wd Blazer, a little ratty but complete and other than that I really dont give it another thought. After driving back home I get to thinking about this Blazer I decide to come back to this site and do a little reading on 2wd Blazers. I had no idea they are so hard to find and so wanted.
After making a few phone calls I made that 2 hr drive again this time pulling a trailer. As it turns out this Blazer has a Goodwrench crate 350 and a factory 4 speed and runs like a top. It does need some new sheet metal but I do bodywork and paint cars for a living so its not something I am worried about. After about an hour of trying to come to what I think is a great price I drove it on my trailer and hauled her home. It is hit in the front, the grill surround is screwed up really bad, the grill is broke and the front and back bumpers are bent beyond use and the tailgate is rusted beyond repair.
That was on Sunday. On Monday, I guy I do cars for calls me and asks me if I want to go to Charlotte on Tuesday to help him look at some cars he is thinking about buying (its a 5 hour drive one way). So I say sure why not. On the way to Charlotte I tell him about this Blazer that I bought and how thrilled I am about it being 2wd. Then I almost fall out of the seat when he tells me about the 72 4wd Blazer he had a few years ago, I guy asked him if he wanted to sell it and he said he would take $200.00 for it but he wanted to keep some stuff off of it and the guy said ok. He tells me that when we get back to his house we can see what he has around. So I'm thinking maybe I will get a few cheap parts for my new toy.
Well, we get back from Charlotte at about 9pm and he goes to get a flash light and we walk around the back of his shop. There is a front and back bumper, like new, grill surround, perfect, and a tailgate without as much as a dent. Then he tells me there is a few more things in the shop, so in we go. He hands me a gauge cluster with a factory tach and he says there is one more thing and he hands me a tilt steering column. At this point I am thinking I cant afford this stuff and I should just run away with my tail between my legs. Then the room begins to spinn as he tells me to just look out for his boy when he wants to get his car painted. MAJOR SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!
And I thought I made out on the blazer. lol
Nothing better than free parts.
I got the Blazer for $1550.00, he wanted $1895.00. I think I did ok. lol
The tilt column is for an automatic so i will be looking to trade it for a manual.
Good to be back after so long.
I am posting some pics of my old ride and my new toy.
My name dont fit my ride. lol
Attached Images

72sbfs is offline   Reply With Quote