The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
kevin67c10

Backup Light Switch Problem - 67c10

Hi folks,

I have an interesting dilemma. I went for inspection, and realized I don't have backup lights in my Chevrolet 1967 C10 Longbed Stepside (automatic TH350 transmission, newish tilt steering column)! So I did a little investigation..

1) I popped the hood and unplugged the wiring harness that goes to the lights at the back of the truck. Took a wire from positive connection of battery to each wire, to make sure it wasn't anything on those wires that go back to the lights, and it wasnt the lights themselves. The backup lights turned on. So I know it is a problem inside the cab.

2) Checked the fuse. It's fine.

3) I put a circuit tester on one side of the prongs of the backup light switch (at the bottom of the steering column), and saw that I had power. So I know it's getting power.

4) I connected the two sides of the backup light switch with a screwdriver to send power to the other side and saw that the backup light comes on.

BUT

4) When I shift into reverse, the power does not go to the other side of the switch, so the lights dont come on.

So it sounds like the column is not engaging the switch, or the switch is ignoring it. What does that mean? Does that mean I should get a new switch? Does that mean the switch isn't installed properly and needs to be reinstalled? I have no idea - I've never dealt with these switches.

What do you think? Anybody have advice?

Thanks,

Kevin T. Smith
(P.S. - Check out the TRUMAN - http://www.trumantruck.com/. After 7 years, it is done! Well, except for backup lights and a nice wood bed. I threw a 4x8 piece of plywood down in the mean time.)
kevin67c10 is offline   Reply With Quote